Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|3 Former U.S. Intelligence Operatives Admit Hacking For United Arab Emirates -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|3 Former U.S. Intelligence Operatives Admit Hacking For United Arab Emirates
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:08:40
WASHINGTON — Three former U.S. intelligence and Burley Garciamilitary operatives have admitted providing sophisticated computer hacking technology to the United Arab Emirates and agreed to pay nearly $1.7 million to resolve criminal charges in an agreement that the Justice Department described Tuesday as the first of its kind.
The defendants — Marc Baier, Ryan Adams and Daniel Gericke — are accused of working as senior managers at a UAE-based company that conducted hacking operations on behalf of the government. Prosecutors say the men provided hacking and intelligence-gathering systems that were used to break into computers in the United State and elsewhere in the world.
The case, in federal court in Washington, accuses the former U.S. officials of violating American laws related to export control and computer fraud. It appears to be part of a growing trend highlighted just months ago by the CIA of foreign governments hiring former U.S. intelligence operatives to bolster their own spycraft — a practice officials have said risks exposing information about U.S. secrets.
The charges were filed under a deferred prosecution agreement that, in addition to requiring a $1.68 million payment, will also force the men to cooperate with the Justice Department's investigation and to sever any ties with any UAE intelligence or law enforcement agencies. If they comply with those terms for three years, the Justice Department will not move forward with any prosecution.
As part of the agreement, the three men did not dispute any of the facts alleged by prosecutors.
The Justice Department described it as the "first-of-its-kind resolution of an investigation into two distinct types of criminal activity," including providing unlicensed technology for hacking.
"Hackers-for-hire and those who otherwise support such activities in violation of U.S. law should fully expect to be prosecuted for their criminal conduct," Mark Lesko, acting assistant attorney general of the Justice Department's national security division, said in a statement.
Prosecutors said the trio left a U.S.-based company that was operating in the UAE to joined an Emerati company that would give them "significant increases" in their salaries.
The companies aren't named in charging documents, but Lori Stroud, a former National Security Agency employee, said she worked with the three men in the UAE at U.S.-based CyberPoint and then for UAE-owned DarkMatter. The company's founder and CEO, Faisal al-Bannai, told The Associated Press in 2018 that DarkMatter takes part in no hacking, although he acknowledged the firm's close business ties to the Emirati government, as well as its hiring of former CIA and NSA analysts.
Prosecutors said that between January 2016 and November 2019, the defendants "expanded the breadth and increased the sophistication" of operations being providing to the UAE government. They bought exploits to break into computers and mobile devices from companies around the world, including those based in the U.S, according to the Justice Department.
That includes one so-called "zero-click" exploit — which can break into mobile devices without any user interaction — that Baier bought from an unnamed U.S. company in 2016.
Lawyers for Adams and Gericke did not immediately return messages seeking comment, and a lawyer for Baier declined to comment.
The Justice Department described each of them as former U.S. intelligence or military personnel, and said their work for the UAE-based company began after they had left the government. Baier is identified in a 2019 Reuters news story as previously having worked in an elite hacking unit of the NSA.
The CIA warned in a letter earlier this year about "an uptick in the number of former officers who have disclosed sensitive information about CIA activities, personnel, and tradecraft."
The letter sent to former CIA officials was signed by Sheetal Patel, the agency's assistant director for counterintelligence. It described as a "detrimental trend" a practice of foreign governments hiring former intelligence officers "to build up their spying capabilities." Some listed examples included using access to CIA information or contacts for business opportunities as well as "working for state-sponsored intelligence related companies in non-fraternization countries."
"We ask that you protect yourself and the CIA by safeguarding the classified tradecraft that underpins your enterprise," Patel wrote.
veryGood! (2412)
Related
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Russia claims U.S. planned alleged drone attack on Kremlin as Ukraine's civilians suffer the retaliation
- Robinhood cuts nearly a quarter of its staff as the pandemic darling loses its shine
- You can find the tech behind the Webb telescope down here on Earth
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- The Kopari Sun Shield Body Glow Sunscreen That Sold Out Many Times Is 50% Off Today Only
- Kate, Princess of Wales, honors Queen Elizabeth and Diana at King Charles' coronation
- How 'Splatoon' carved a welcoming niche in the brutal shooter game genre
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Amazon buying One Medical is only its most recent dive into the health care industry
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- COMIC: How living on Mars time taught me to slow down
- Twitter reports a revenue drop, citing uncertainty over Musk deal and the economy
- The 7 Best Benzene-Free Dry Shampoos & Alternatives That Will Have Your Hair Looking & Feeling Fresh
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Why Taylor Swift Fans Think All of the Girls You Loved Before Is a Message to Joe Alwyn
- Tesla cashes out $936 million in Bitcoin, after a year of crypto turbulence
- Why a 2022 fatal shark attack in Australia has been classified as provoked
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Frankie Grande Recalls His and Sister Ariana Grande's Tearful Reaction to Her Wicked Casting
Why Bachelor Nation's Andi Dorfman Says Freezing Her Eggs Kept Her From Settling
Twitter takes Elon Musk to court, accusing him of bad faith and hypocrisy
Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
Outer Banks' Madelyn Cline Shares Birthday Message for Her Love Jackson Guthy
Will BeReal just make us BeFake? Plus, A Guidebook To Smell
Suspected serial killer allegedly swindled Thailand murder victims before poisoning them with cyanide